Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Follow your dreams"




Six weeks ago I had a weird dream. You know one of those dreams that you remember all the details and yet none of them make much sense. I don't usually dream a lot, nor do I usually remember the dreams I have very well. But this was a "realistic" dream, almost as if it was or could actually happen. I generally subscribe to the theory that dreams are an extension of your sub-conscious and that sometimes the strange things you dream can be tied to other experiences or thoughts. I must say this dream throws that theory out the window. Here is the dream:

I ( although I never actually saw may face, I did dream this as first person) was in my early 30's and living in a refurbished ranch style home. The front room to the house was a big combination formal living/dining space, long and thin with wood floors. At the end of the room was a big table and I was sitting at the table sewing. There were racks of little girls dresses all around the room and there were two little boys playing. They were running through the house and tickling each other. One of them was clearly Cale, but he was probably 5 years old and the other was about 2. The younger of the two had curly blonde hair. Throughout the dream I sewed and they played. We would get in the car and travel to these warehouse type building full of bins of fabric. I would dig through the fabric and pick out the pieces I liked. I would take them home and sew the dresses out of them. Every dress was made from different fabric and I am fairly sure the fabric was all remnants. At the end of the dream, I had a big "party" and all these ladies came over and bought my dresses.

Ok first of I don't live in that kind of house, nor do i have two boys. But the real strange thing is "why would I be sewing dresses if I don't have a little girl?" and even weirder I don't know how to sew! I have never wanted to sew anything in my life! My mother, grandmother and even great grandmother were/are AMAZING seamstresses! They have sewed for me my whole life. I have never needed to sew anything so i've never had the desire. I certainly haven't thought about sewing anything lately, so why would I dream this?

WHo KNOWs?....... Not me - but as Beth Moore says "God knows, God always knows."

The morning after the dream (Jacob was still home) I woke up and told Jacob about the strange, realistic dream. He though it was weird too. He even said "You don't know how to sew." haha I know!! I told my mom a few days later, knowing she would appreciate a sewing dream. She told me "I think you need to make one of those dresses from the dream." I reminded her that I don't know how to sew and that I have no use for a little girls dress. Well, for the next week she kept asking me "when are you going to make one of those dresses?" I was thoroughly put out! I don't know how to sew and I don't need any dresses!!

After a week of this, I decided that if she wanted to make a dress she could. So I bought her the fabric and brought it home. That was 16 days ago. I now have 12 little girls dresses hanging in my house. And yes, I made them all my myself. It is certainly not easy or cheap but with some guidance from my mom and some urging from my close friends I figured out that somehow I do know how to sew. And actually I'm really good at it! Imagine my surprise!

I'm in the process of developing a logo, with the help of an amazing friend who is World Class graphic designer, Jose Canales. My dear sister is setting up a website and my mother is helping me iron out the kinks in the design and figure out pricing. Several of my friends have allowed me to use their children as dress models and given me their priceless advice (Laura, Sarah, Sheryl, Amy, Tina, Jess).

So, If I seemed a little withdrawn over the past few weeks, thats why. God is stirring up some unbelievable things in my life. I don't know where this path is going to lead but I know that God has clearly open this door (and maybe even pushed me through it).

Stay tuned for more info........and if you are willing, say a prayer that God's will be done in this new venture.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I LOVE that you now have a blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love it! I recently started sewing too...but no sewing dreams for me! I want one for little Audrey Belle! If you ever look at my blog, don't expect much...it's basically just so the grandparents in Texas can keep up with what the kids are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I finally had the chance to sneek a peek at this site the other day at school. Two of my girl friends sitting beside me both looked and said at the same time, "Oh my gosh those are the cutest dresses!" They read a bit of your story and were immediately inspired, so your blogging has already been worth it ;)
    I'm so proud of you! You never cease to amaze me in everything you try and conquer. I'll be praying for you and your new business adventure and that God will be glorified through it all. Let me know if i can help! In the mean time,I'm enjoying reading your blogs :) keep it up!
    PS Audrey just pointed to the orange and green dress and said, "oooo thats pwetty, is mine!" lol. You have her approval!

    Love you much, Elbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa just sent me the link and I LOVE the story and the dresses. I'm already listing all of the girl babies I know. :) I'm certainly praying for God to be glorified.

    ReplyDelete